Saturday, February 27, 2016

Saturday Update

Abby is doing a little bit better today. Her fever has come down a few times but it keeps going back up to 104. We know what bacteria is causing the blood infection and they tested it in the lab with the anabiotic she's on and it does kill that bacteria so that's good news. She's been really nauseous and had a lot of other stomach issues that led them to do a test for C Diff which came back positive. C Diff is a bacteria that lives in most peoples' intestines and keeps in check with all the other bacteria in there. However, when a person is on anabiotics for a long time and they are the broad-spectrum type like she's on, and that person is immuno-compromised, the C Diff bacteria can overpopulated. Ironically, The treatment is another anabiotic. So, hopefully she will start feeling better soon. 

As I write this, I am sitting outside of the hospital enjoying some sunshine. Two life flight helecopters have landed on the hospital roof as I've been out here. It's always sobering to see. Makes me thankful that we are in such a great facility was a great staff taking care of our Abby.

Friday, February 26, 2016

4:30 update

I'm sitting here with Abby and her 104 degree temperature. The bacterial infection is streptococci and most likely came from her gut. The second IV antibiotic will take care of it but it takes some time. So, she's feeling pretty bad right now but at least we know what is causing it and she's getting everything possible to make her comfortable. 

Anna and Lily were brave today and got their blood drawn. They let us do it early so we could be with Abby during an X-ray. They had gelato after with Nana and played outside the hospital in the sun with their Barbies. They headed back home with Mark a bit ago and my mom and I are staying the night.

Spiked high fever -ANC still 0

Abby is going on day 17 of this hospital stay. She's been on an antibiotic and anti fungal for the whole time. Last night she spiked a fever and they cultured the blood to see about infections. She had one so now she is on a second antibiotic and they are doing more blood cultures. She wasn't feeling good at all. The ICU. Doc came up to assess her and said she didn't need to go down there yet. 

-(Morning now) He's coming again soon since her fever is 103.9. Hopefully they can bring it back down and keep her out of ICU. 

Tiffany drove down in the middle of the night to be with Abby. I'm going down with the girls now. Hopefully they can get this infection under control quickly and hopefully her immunity come back soon to help fight it too. 

The girls get their blood drawn today (we'll see if we can still do it) to see who's the better match as well. Hopefully Abby's fever comes down and she can get some rest. But she probably won't feel like coming off the floor to see her sisters today :(. More video calls in the future will have to suffice until we get to bring her home. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Still at the Hospital

Hi everyone.  Abby is dong really well, considering.  Her ANC is still zero and not showing signs of coming up yet.  However, she has been nauseous  much less.  She has been needing periodic blood and platelet transfusions and is still on the IV antibiotic and anti-fungal medicines.

Her spirits are up, as you can see from her photo.  She is holding a batch (clutch? brood? pack?) of felted dragons she made.  We took them for a walk on the floor to show them our favorite picture, Owls in Bowties.  We think the one with the purple tie just arrived at the hospital and is feeling a little overwhelmed with his new life here.  We can relate.

So, there's not much to report.  It is wonderful to have her feeling so well, eating, gaining weight, doing school, walking around, and making lots of creative things!  She still has a week of chemo to get in as soon as her ANC is 500 and then it has to come up again after that to 500 again before we can start the 2 week BMT workup.  So, we may be looking at the first week in April for the actual BMT.  Abby was making some cards yesterday from a kit that came from a sweet lady at my folks' old church in CA and she found a card with this quote on it, "She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails." (Elizabeth Edwards)  We hung it in the room to remind us that life is about change and not being in control but we can choose to accept and adapt as best we can.

Anna and Lily will be coming down on Friday for their follow-up blood tests to see if one or the other of them would be a better donor for Abby.  They are nervous but stepping up to the plate for Abby.  Children's is great.  They will have a Child Life Specialist meet us before the blood draw so that they have someone with them, besides us, to help it go smoothly.  Lily is still hoping she gets to donate.  Hopefully, the next time we blog Abby is home!